Home office...Running costs If you perform some of your work from a home office, you may be entitled to a deduction for the costs you incur in running it, including:
• for home office equipment, such as computers, printers and telephones.
• work-related phone calls and phone rental if you can show you
• are on call, or
• have to phone your employer or clients regularly while you are away from your workplace
• heating, cooling and lighting
• the costs of repairs to your home office furniture and fittings
• cleaning expenses.

Home office expenses..... You may be entitled to claim deductions for home expenses including a computer, phone or other electronic devices you are required to use for work purposes, as well as a deduction for running costs. As an employee, generally you can't claim a deduction for occupancy expenses, including rent, mortgage interest, council rates and house insurance premiums. If you are an employee and required to use your computer, phone or other electronic device for work purposes, you may be able to claim a deduction for your costs.

TAX TIP...... Do you use your electronic devices for work? The basic rules are....... If you use your own electronic devices for work purposes, you can claim a deduction if you paid for these costs and have records to support your claims. If you use your phone for both work and private use, you will need to work out the percentage that reasonably relates to your work use. You can’t double-dip and claim for phone expenses that have been reimbursed by your employer.

Tax Tips - Car Travel by the Log Book method.
• Your claim is based on the business use % of each car expense which is determined by a log book that must have been kept for a min 12 week period.
• The logbook must record all business journeys made in the car over the 12 week period it has been kept, recording:
• You can claim all expenses that relate to the operation of the car, at your percentage of business use, as established from your logbook.
• You will need to keep all receipts throughout the year to justify your claim

Deductions you can claim For your tax return, you're entitled to claim deductions for some expenses, most of which are directly related to earning your income. To claim a work-related deduction:
o you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
o it must be related to your job o you must have a record to prove it If the expense was for both work and private purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion.
o Vehicle and travel expenses
o Clothing & laundry
o Gifts and donations
o Home office expenses
o Tools & equipment

Go to top